Thursday, July 15, 2010

Squishy is the new black

As the ladies and I were sitting around the old campfire last night for book club, a question was asked of the crowd: "In Lisa's list of what women want, she mentions equal pay, compassionate lighting and a lot of foreplay. What would you add?" Let me first address where this question came from. For a little lite summer reading, the ladies chose a brief autobiography of sorts by a staff writer for Oprah. Yes, THAT Oprah. The book was silly, and not the David Sadaris laugh out loud, rolling on the floor while having to read that paragraph over b/c you can hardly believe that something so absurd happened him, silly, but the I really can't believe that this lady writes for Oprah and has her own book, silly. It's not the worst book I've ever read, but it definitely not water cooler material. But she did have some great insight and upon group reflection of the question, we came up with some pretty amazing answers. Who wouldn't want lipo availability at any time? Or a personal trainer that would tell you what to work out and what to eat? But what does that woman want? Unless we start living in the Jetsons era, which I guess we do, but we don't, there is no possible way that ALL women could be happy at one time. My suggestion was to make squishy acceptable. Instead of worrying about how to get thin or how to eat well, you just are what you are. How many times have you looked at a priceless piece of art and thought, hmmm that woman has curves. Why can't that be okay now? Why does Jennifer Love Hewitt have to be on the treadmill for 50 minutes a day so that the press will stop bothering her about her weight "issues". I don't know Love personally, but if I did, I would be a good friend and tell her that she looks great just the way she was. There is no reason in the world to starve yourself, or do something that other people would consider crazy, so that someone else thinks you look good. This is, of course, coming from the girl who started this whole blog thing b/c she was logging her P90x progress, but I've grown. Not just physically and more squishy, but wait, what was I talking about? Anyway, I think we should start a movement. A "squishy is the new black" movement. We start our own trend and make models feel bad about the way THEY look. I am not, however, suggesting that people let themselves go all together. I cannot understand how some people can physically weigh 700 pounds or how they even got to the point. At some point in their lives didn't they have people that loved them? Don't they still. I mean, okay, everyone should fluctuate around the 10 pound mark. Sometimes you're over, sometimes you're under. 10 pounds is something one can really carry well. Once you start getting over, or under that marker, the people around you should start taking notice. Maybe you just had a bad breakup, maybe someone very close to you died, maybe you had a baby, or maybe you lost your job. Whatever the case may be, you're allowed to have a grieving period. But once people start taking notice, how do you not have someone in your life that would be like, hey, let's go for a walk? Maybe you shouldn't have that 40th "diet" coke of the day. Maybe instead of going to Pizza Hut, we should head to Whole Foods and have a salad. There are ways to drop hints, I would think. And then, once you hit the 100 mark, what happens? Do people start checking out on your? Is your whole life consumed with fast food and french fries? Have you started noticing the grease marks on your bed stand? Have you started noticing that you have trouble breathing walking to the bathroom? Can you go to the bathroom? And then, when you physically can't see or reach your own shoes. When you live with your mom and dad b/c you can't take care of yourself. Why is that okay? How have they not said anything to you? I just don't get it. See, I'm okay with being squishy (I'm really not, but I'm not doing something about it so I really can't complain right now), and I'm really okay with other people being squishy, but where do you draw the line and how do you tell that person that they are getting fat? The Squishy is the new black movement would help all this. Instead of feeling like you're never going to be thin again and let yourself tip the scales, you can be okay with the regular weight. 80% of the way you look is what you put in your body anyway. The SITNB movement will also head into fast food restaurants and not shut them down, but alter them. No, Jabba the Hut you can't super size that meal b/c while you were in line at the drive threw, we weighed your car and know you are alone. Here is a delicious chicken sandwich with a side salad and a water. Why no, you can't have dressing. Thank you, come again. We would make the employees of these establishments the gate keepers. The patrons would still spend the same amount of money, or heck you could even make the healthier stuff cheaper. If you got every one of those "restaurants" on board, I bet you would see a dramatic change in obesity. And then there are the sit down establishments. Did you know that American portions are almost 3 times the size of a healthy normal portion? How many times have you sat down in a restaurant and a waiter has brought you a meal that you will more than likely pay $23 for and it's the size of your fist? Rule of thumb, it should always be the size of your fist. That's a portion size. Most people don't know that. But if you go to most places here in America, they will fill the plate up with food. Sometimes it's even dripping off the side. I'm not complaining about this by any means. As a matter of fact, I know where to go eat when I'm starving and when I'm not. I'm simply stating that if it's in front of me, I'm not going to know when to stop eating it. But, if I was only given the amount of food that I'm supposed to eat instead, my body should adjust, right? So, join me in the SITNB movement. We'll start changing people lives and make being squishy socially acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment